Job ID: BH505747
Category: Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Practice Assistant
- High School Diploma
- Previous medical office experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite Programs
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication skills
- Experience with insurance referrals, insurance plans, verification of eligibility, and prior authorization
The Lung Center is an exciting collaboration between the Division of Thoracic Surgery, Pulmonary Medicine, and Lung Transplant. The Lung Center Access Coordinator is responsible for handling incoming calls for the Lung Center in a timely fashion. Adheres to divisional and departmental service standards related to patient experience including a standard and professional phone etiquette. The Lung Center Access Coordinator also provides access for patients by actively managing and maintaining reschedule and waist lists.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Perform duties under moderate supervision with intermediate to advanced proficiency in administrative skills.
2) Answers patients telephone calls, correctly processing information or answering questions or solving problems.
3) Schedules appointments including ancillary testing
4) Act as a super user for scheduling, registration, and billing systems. Provide training and assistance to others in these areas.
5) May perform more complex or specialized functions (i.e., surgical scheduling) at highest competency level.
6) Run reschedule reports and reschedule patient appointments as directed
7) Call patients to remind them of their upcoming appointments, providing accurate clinic locations and directions to appointment location
8) Utilize knowledge of HMOs, managed care and other third-party insurers, and troubleshoots insurance issues as appropriate.
9) Obtains prior authorizations.
10) Adheres to Joint Commission and Department of Public Health regulations as well hospital and Departmental policies, such as: Attendance and Dress Code.
11) Performs other duties and tasks as requested by supervisors to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility, maintaining flexibility regarding the occasional need for the staff coverage in other areas of the facility
I. Fulfilling Responsibilities to Patients:
a) Answers patients telephone calls, correctly processing information on ambulatory appointment scheduling or answering questions or solving problems. If necessary, transfers call to an appropriate person or department to assist the patient.
b) Obtain or reviews all patient demographic information, insurance information and referral numbers.
c) Accurately records all data and maintains necessary records or files relating to clinical care issues.
d) Assists patients in a manner that promotes the perception that the staff is courteous, efficient and interested in their healthcare. Treats all patients with dignity and professionalism.
e) Answers telephone calls professionally and courteously within five rings introducing the practice as requested by the division manager.
f) Whether on the phone or in person treats all patients and internal customers with dignity and professionalism.
g) Accurately completes and processes necessary test requisitions for patient care.
h) Accurately and efficiently obtains prior authorizations.
I. Fulfilling Responsibilities to Physicians
a) Maintains a professional relationship with all physicians
b) Answers telephone calls correctly processing all patient information for messages, appointments, or patient registration.
c) Obtains or reviews all patient demographics, insurance, and referral information as necessary. d) Completes physicians’ orders/requests accurately.
e) Maintain and adjusts physicians’ schedules as requested.
II. Interacting with Fellow Employees
a) Works to establish and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees.
b) Treats all co-workers and internal customers with dignity and professionalism.
c) Works cooperatively with fellow employees to solve problems and enhance the smooth and efficient flow of the practice.
d) Provides coverage for responsibilities of co-workers when assigned or as need arises.
III. Interacting with Supervisory or Administrative Staff
a) Follows instructions of and assists supervisory staff as required.
b) Maintains good communication and reports problems to supervisor.
IV. Equipment and Supplies
a) Maintains all patient care and support equipment assuring that they are clean and in good working order. Reports problems to supervisor or follows protocol for reporting problems.
b) Maintains inventory of necessary supplies and equipment following procedures set by practice manager.
c) Ensures that all supplies are adequately stocked.
d) Maintains a neat, organized work environment.
V. Other: Performs all other duties or tasks as assigned or requested by the supervisor to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility.
- Must have previous medical office experience in performing required tasks
- Must possess a reasonable degree of dexterity and mobility.
- Must have good communication and writing skills.
- Experience with insurance referrals, insurance plan, verification of eligibility, and prior authorizations is a plus
- Must understand the overall goals and systems of the facility.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with a socially diverse group of patients visiting their physicians for problems that may be life threatening.
- Must have the ability to manage the anxiety and stress often created when dealing with sick patients.
- Must be able to work well in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Must respect the strict confidentiality of medical records and information.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.