Director of Accounting & Finance
Job ID: BH504093
Category: Finance Director, Controller, CFO
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
The Director of Accounting and Finance will be responsible for the direct management of several key accounting and reporting functions within the organization, including accounting, treasury, insurance and taxation; financial and regulatory reporting; internal controls and risk management; research and analysis; the procure-to-pay cycle; and compliance with contractual documents and government regulations. The Director of Accounting and Finance will lead the month-end close process; including the preparation and reconciliation of financial statements (P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow statement).
The Director of Accounting and Finance will also design the necessary Accounting and Finance organization necessary to support the business, and will lead, manage, coach and mentor a team of up to 4 direct staff members. The Director of Accounting and Finance will ensure that the organization has the policies, procedures, internal controls, segregation of duties and systems in place to support effective program implementation and to ensure flawless audits. In addition, will partner with Audit and Tax firms on an on-going basis.
And finally, the Director of Accounting and Finance will work closely with the CFO to help create and sustain a great workplace within the Finance department for competent, highly motivated, and results-oriented people whose core values and work ethic align with the organization’s mission and culture; and whose skills and experience contribute to achieving the organization’s goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enterprise Risk Management: Ensure that the organization has the financial systems, policies, procedures, internal controls, segregation of duties and security access in place to safeguard assets and data; to prevent or detect fraud and conflicts of interest; to promote accurate and timely internal and external reporting and analysis; to ensure compliance with government contracts, debt covenants, and contractual obligations; and to ensure clean financial and government audits.
- Financial Analytics, Advice and Counsel: Conduct in-depth financial analysis; provide expert financial perspective and opinions; proficient in spreadsheet design to facilitate complex analysis; and instrumental in helping to assess risk, analyze efficiency and inform business decisions made by executive management.
- Annual Audit: Serve as Management’s liaison to the external audit team during their preliminary and final on-site field work, ensuring that the organization has timely and accurately fulfilled all its obligations and responsibilities as set forth in the terms of the engagement letter for the preparation and fair presentation of the financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP and Reporting Package to Group,
- Annual Financial Statements and Footnotes: Prepare comparative annual financial statements at the end of each fiscal year that are accurate and complete, including the statements of financial position, statements of activities, statements of functional expenses, and statements of cash flows and the related notes to the financial statements for the purpose of allowing the external independent auditor to express an opinion on whether the financial statements are presented fairly, in all material respects, in accordance with accounting principles U.S GAAP and Reporting Package to Group, including ensuring that the formats of all financial statements and footnote disclosures have been appropriately updated and the statement of functional expenses reflects how employees devoted their time during the current fiscal year.
- Procure to Pay Cycle: Ensure that all financial obligations, payouts, invoices, employee expense reports and so forth are extinguished in a timely and accurate manner, including: confirming the payment of each financial obligation is properly authorized and processed pursuant to established policies and procedures; thoroughly substantiated and documented; accurately coded and mapped to the proper natural and functional expense account and net asset category; and timely paid to the correct oblige/payee, including payments to vendors, contractors, consultants, employees, landlords, financial institutions and other payees; and ensuring that the payment of goods are properly matched to authorized purchase orders and approved shipping and receiving documents.
- Commitment to Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate an on-going commitment to continuous improvement by implementing systems, structure, policy and/or process enhancements that improve the quality of the Finance department’s products and services and/or the efficiency and/or effectiveness of a major business process used to operate the organization.
- Projects: Lead and/or participate in special projects and activities as assigned.
- Manage the core functions of financial services to include general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable (credit management), insurance, tax and treasury.
- Direct monthly and yearly financial closing process to provide timely information and achieve deadlines as defined by management. This includes reviewing and approving journal entries, preparing monthly reconciliations, and preparing monthly financial documents (P&L, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow Statement) and Groupe Financial Reporting Package.
- Beyond a strong knowledge of SAP, oversee the strategic evaluation, selection, implementation and utilization of financial systems and tools that support the current and future needs of the business.
- Establish and manage Cost Centers and GL accounts on a daily basis.
- Monitor a cash management strategy that optimizes cash flow and strengthens the organizations financial positioning. Manage the cash-flow position of the company. Responsibility includes authority to establish credit and collections and purchasing policies and to establish schedules for the payment of bills and financial obligations.
- Coordinate activities within the treasury function and the financial institution such as daily cash transacting/monitoring, reporting to Corporate, and processing of ACH transaction and international wires.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with and the financial acumen of all levels of staff throughout the organization; and create and promote a positive and supportive work environment consistent with the organization’s culture, values, core competencies and guiding principles.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; must be an active CPA candidate or already possess an active CPA license. A Master’s degree in accounting, finance or an MBA is preferred.
· 10+ years of broad finance and accounting experience, including hands-on experience in a complex organization that has multiple programs and a high volume of financial transactions.
· 5+ years of people management experience overseeing accounting and finance professionals and staff at all levels; including the ability to leverage strengths of the current finance and accounting staff, clarifying and enhancing roles and responsibilities and developing and implementing training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals and performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technology savvy with advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software, preferably HYPERION, SAP and advanced knowledge of Microsoft EXCEL, WORD and POWERPOINT.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.