Job ID: BH496808
Category: Senior Accountant
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
The Senior Accountant will join as a key member of the Plant Controllership team, focusing on cost accounting and inventory. In collaboration with management, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for assisting in the preparation of the month end close, maintain accountability for specific areas in Accounting e.g., ERP Systems, General Ledger, Audit, Compliance, and assist in the development and implementation of financial policies, procedures and controls, and new systems/projects across the organization.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Develop, implement and/or maintain one or more accounting systems and processes: journal entries, General Ledger, Inventory, Prepaids, Accounts Payable, Accruals, etc.
- Reconcile balance sheet and applicable income statement accounts with supporting documentation for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Prepares the month end close reporting process related to inventory and Cost of Goods Sold (COGS). Responsible for the accuracy and timely processing of month end close requirements related to inventory balances, E&O reserves, manufacturing variances reconciliations and related accounts between the general ledger and ERP perpetual records, and calculation of average inventory turns by product line, etc..
- Liaise with the Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Procurement, Logistics and Quality teams related to inventory, production and manufacturing costs. Partnering includes, but not limited to, advancing initiatives related to inventory accounting, inventory related systems implementations, etc.
- Become a subject matter expert in the Company’s ERP and EPM systems related to cost accounting; understand the intricacies of the shop order transaction flow and how they are mapped to the general ledger; proactive participant in ERP/ EPM systems project teams within the COGS functions; document clear and concise standard operating procedures/ work instructions.
- Assists in the preparation of financial analysis and commentary to Finance and business partners in assessing actual product cost with comparisons to budget and forecasts. Compiles data from disparate sources to identify and assess performance and underlying trends with a focus on profit enhancing opportunities.
- Participate in the annual inventory standard cost reset process. In coordination with the Plant Controller, develops and maintains a product standard cost methodology by product line and product family; help drive and lead the standard cost reset process cross functionally.
- Identifies Earned Production Labor & Overhead absorption, calculates efficiency, and provides a comparison to actual spend.
- Assist in the setup and/ or maintenance of processes, procedures and controls that properly capture, track and report financial results, in accordance with Sarbanes Oxley, U.S. GAAP and company policies.
- Effectively business partner and collaborate with cross functional teams and all members of our Controllership & Finance team (domestic and international).
- Assist in setup, maintenance and continuous improvement of the Company’s ERP systems.
- Assist in ERP transactional processing, data management activities, business intelligence analysis, capabilities and reporting, and other systems utilized by the Accounting & Finance team.
- Interpret reports and records for managers/stakeholders.
- Conducts month end balance sheet and income statement variance analysis.
- Provide requested documentation to auditors (internal and external) and respond to questions timely.
- Provide support for footnotes disclosure for financial reporting purposes related to inventory.
- Assist in preparation of quarterly forecasts and annual budgets for responsible areas of the balance sheet and applicable income statement accounts.
- Focus on continuous improvement in areas of responsibility to drive transition to “best in class” finance organization.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, or as a team member.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing to all levels within the organization.
- Ability to work under pressure and with multiple deadlines.
- A sense of urgency and self-motivation, with a personal commitment to meeting deadlines.
- High energy and ability to work well with all levels of management with consistent enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Actively promotes safety rules and awareness. Demonstrates good safety practices at all times including the appropriate use of protective equipment. Reports and takes initiative to correct safety & environmental hazards.
- Actively demonstrates the values of accountability, quality, efficiency, customer service, collaboration and safety.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting; cost accounting experience preferred.
- 3-5 years accounting experience; recent public accounting experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of manual and automated accounting and reporting systems.
- Public company and/or manufacturing environment experience is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn technical working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SEC accounting/reporting rules.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.