Sales & Use Tax Accountant
Job ID: BH491266
Category: Sales & Use Tax
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
This position exists to minimize sales and use tax exposure/expense by accurate and timely filing of multi-state sales and use tax returns for multiple companies. Person in this position will assist with tax audit activities to gain maximum advantage for the company, negotiating settlements as needed to minimize financial impact of unfavorable audit findings, and by improving the overall sales and use tax process.
1. Prepares state and local Sales and Use tax returns for each local company to ensure compliance with applicable tax laws.
2. Coordinates sales and use tax payments to ensure accurate and timely payment
3. Addresses sales tax compliance issues and discrepancy notices, seeking the most favorable resolution possible
4. Assists with tax audits to provide auditors with appropriate information and to assist them in completion of their task
5. Reconciles sales tax payable accounts.
6. Maintains current knowledge of sales and use tax laws, rules and regulations to help the companies stay in compliance and to leverage any opportunities for cost savings; disseminates information as needed to keep others informed
7. Reviews current processes and recommends changes as needed to improve results and lower costs
– Basic knowledge of accounting principles and accounts payable function as well as the ability to prepare journal entries and reconcile general ledger accounts.
– Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word in order to communicate with outside taxing authorities and to create account reconciliation schedules.
– Must know how to conduct research on the internet to find various state laws and forms needed.
– Must be familiar with Vertex Sales Tax Return software or be willing to attend training to obtain such knowledge.
-Degree in business or accounting preferred
– Prior experience in filing multi-state sales tax returns
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.