Job ID: BH486920
Category: Payroll Manager, Payroll
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Job Location: Young and Bloor, Toronto
*hybrid, onsite 2-3 days per week
Industry: Management Consulting
The successful candidate in this position will own the timely and accurate processing of all payroll related to Canadian entity. This individual will be responsible for timely payroll processing payroll and certain payroll-related reporting, such as tax and regulatory filings. Ensures the accurate recording of payroll expenses and assist members of the accounting team with recording in the accounting system, as well as account analysis for the payroll account. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all internal policies and procedures and applicable regulatory requirements.
Payroll Processing and Team Development
- Oversee the processing of all Canadian pay runs prepared by Payroll Coordinators (semi-monthly, monthly), including pay calculations, employee status changes, benefit deductions, levy/ garnishments.
- Coordinate and review all monthly payroll journal entries for input into the financial systems and perform/ review account analysis for internal and external customers
- Responsible for filing all payroll related tax returns in a timely and accurate, as well as responsibility for year-end tax reporting for employees
- Research and resolve complex pay issues (i.e. cross-border taxation issues, vesting/ taxation of deferred compensation plans,
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of payroll-related legislation and implement changes as necessary
- Interacts with ADP to resolve processing issues
- Development and coaching of members of the team and assistance with preparation of semi-annual reviews for these individuals.
- Perform diversified duties for departmental, corporate and banking requirements, and perform other duties and projects as assigned or responsibilities dictate.
- Collaborate with members of the HR teams to ensure processes and procedures are implemented for effective sharing of information across HR and Payroll functions.
- Work closely and collaboratively with members of the corporate tax department to ensure compliance with federal and provincial regulations.
Process Documentation & Process Improvements
- Ensure proper documentation and records are maintained and transactions are processed in compliance with internal policies and procedures
- Assist in the identification of risks and implementation of new controls where necessary.
- Work with Senior Manager to ensure enhancements are made to existing internal/ external systems and continual improvements to processes and procedures are made, as needed
Provide Excellent Customer Service
- Ensure employee inquiries regarding pay calculations, taxes, deductions and benefits are responded to timely and accurately.
- Represent the company as a highly visible customer service representative, both internally and externally, including inquiries from cost center managers, domestic and international controllers, other finance department staff members, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree, or relevant work experience
- 4-7+ years of progressive payroll and financial experience, or equivalent
- Experience working in supervisory role or successfully supervising others
- Experience with payroll processing systems (e.g., Workday Payroll, ADP Payroll).
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Desire for continuous improvement, both in process and self-development
- Ability to train and be trained effectively, even in a remote environment
- Ability to work productively both independent, as a self-starter, and as an integral member of the payroll team
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial and regulatory compensation practices as they relate to payroll processing.
- Strong working knowledge of MS office suite. Proficient with excel workbooks, reports, and analyzing data.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- English language fluency (both written and oral)
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and supervise others in a fast pace change-oriented environment.
- Experience in payroll processing role in the professional services industry.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now and ADP Smart Compliance
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.