Senior Grants Manager
Job ID: BH471193
Category: Grants Manager
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Client Job Title: Senior Grants Manager
Duration: 4 months temp, possibly permanent hire
Location: New York, NY
Hours: 35 per week. 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. Non-exempt.
Industry: Higher Education/ University
Company Size: 10,000+
Interview Process: 1-2 Zoom interviews
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent plus 4 years of related experience required
- Must be able to demonstrate strong skills in financial analysis and financial management and an ability to interact with a broad spectrum of people, be highly organized, and work independently as well as a member of a team, meet deadlines and multi-task.
- The position requires a motivated individual who has demonstrated leadership abilities, the ability to plan, and the ability to interact with physicians, administrators, senior leadership and researchers and direct the activities of others.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Access required.
Experience with NIH application process and knowledge of research funding, familiarity with all phases of grant life-cycle, competitive peer review funding system, research administration
that includes financial operations in research organizations, regulatory affairs, and strategic planning preferred
The Senior Grants Manager is responsible for analyzing, monitoring and evaluating the Department’s pre- and post-award sponsored research activities including all federal, non-federal, sponsored project contracts. This position ensures the efficient, cost effective, administration and financial management of grants and contracts throughout the Department in compliance with internal and external policies and procedures. The Senior Grants Manager will ensure that all pre and post-award activities are implemented and set forth at the standards and guidelines of the Administrative Director of Research and Vice-Chair of Research. The Senior Grants Manager will serve as a subject matter expert and central resource for the financial team to ensure compliance with grant related financial management policies.
- Responsible for budget planning, tracking and management as related to the execution of the department's research related budget and financial operations.
- Analyzing, monitoring and evaluating the Department's pre-award, post-award sponsored and non-sponsored research activities including but not limited to grant expenditures, salary changes, and compliance with budget allocations.
- Analysis and reconciliation of sponsored and non-sponsored project research accounts on a monthly basis.
- Develop and maintain internal financial control systems to monitor performance against budget.
- Create tracking tools to manage and forecast financial operations to prevent overdrafts.
- Review research accounts monthly; identify problem account and/or deficits and work with research administrator to rectify.
- Facilitate resolving grant account discrepancies and closing accounts for completed projects/grant years.
- Monitor monthly financial statements and departmental P&L statement to ensure sponsored project expenditures are within the pre-established budget.
- Ensures quarterly PI attestations and other required certifications/validations are completed.
- Ongoing management of sponsored and non-sponsored research budgets – review and development of initial budgets and revised budgets for accuracy (i.e. indirect cost, salary vs. effort and budget vs. notice of grant award or research agreement).
- Preparation of financial reports and invoices.
- Leading the budget and strategic planning processes, evaluating budget variances and making recommendations on appropriate corrective actions, prepare and present monthly budget and financial performance reports for departmental research activities.
- Make sound recommendations based on budgetary objectives and fiscal policies in accordance with Departmental, University and Agency guidelines.
- Responsible for serving as a liaison with Sponsored Project Finance, Sponsored Projects
- Administration, Clinical Trials Office for matters related to pre- and post-award grant management.
- Ensure the efficient, cost effective, administration and financial management of grants and contracts throughout the Department in compliance with internal and external policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update all pertinent records, files and documents; and assure completeness of all research accounts/files/submissions.
- Oversee Salary Distribution/Cost
- Transfers at account set-up and throughout the project lifecycle in accordance with the approved budget in accordance with University and grantee guidelines and within 30 days of award receipt.
- Ensure salaries for research faculty and staff are charged appropriately and correctly.
- Perform monthly reconciliations to ensure transactions have been accurately applied.
- Create combo codes as needed.
- Coordinate Effort Certification Process including verification of accuracy and resolution of discrepancies.
- Review all effort reports for departmental faculty and research staff; ensure effort matches budget, and where different, take appropriate action to correct any discrepancies; provide guidance to investigators and managers on correct effort reporting requirements.
- Establish cost-sharing tracking system to ensure accurate effort reporting of committed costsharing activity.
- The candidate will to ensure cost sharing activity is accurately reported on investigator’s Other Support pages.
- Oversee salary suspense account and charge salaries as deemed appropriate across the various sources.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of suspense account.
- Review all new research positions to verify available funding and create/assign combo codes as required.
- Maintain n comprehensive knowledge of all relevant regulations, policies and procedures that affect the acquisition and management of sponsored projects.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the University’s financial systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.