Peer Support Specialists (REMOTE)
Job ID: BH438096
Category: Customer Support, Customer Service
This is an ideal position for individuals who are interested in helping others and making a contribution to their community. Peer Support Specialists (PSS) provide evidence-informed crisis intervention, suicide prevention, information & referral, brief supportive counseling, and follow up services to individuals who contact the NYC Support program (NYC Well) in emotional distress, particularly those at high risk for suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts and behaviors. PSS interact with clients by telephone, SMS text messaging, and/or web chat. The position provides an opportunity to gain a wide range of clinical skills, and knowledge of the expanding field of behavioral health.
- Highschool diploma
- A lived experience. We will consider candidates have personal experience and have gone through some kind of mental health/behavioral health challenge themselves and recovered.
- Ability to attend 3+ week paid training without any interruptions
- Computer (one will be issued post training) and reliable internet
- Must be certified or eligible for certification as a Peer Support Specialist, Family Advocate, Certified Addiction Recovery Coach, or Certified Recovery Peer Advocate through NYS Office of Mental Health (OMH) and/or NYS Office of Alcohol & Substance Abuse (OASAS). If not certified, demonstrated progress toward certification strongly preferred.
- National Provider Identification number required by date of hire; instructions for securing NPI number will be provided.
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in a mental health area
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.