Senior Manager, External Reporting
Job ID: BH436848
Category: SEC Reporting
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Senior Manager, External Reporting
Job Location: Cambridge MA or Ann Arbor MI need to be onsite but flexible for hybrid working over the next few months.
Company Information, Industry, Size: Large BioTech company
Interview Process: Phone interview with HR first followed by virtual interviews with Assistant Controller and Controller
- Public or Public Accounting experience
- BioTech industry
The Senior Manager, External Reporting will be responsible for leading the SEC reporting and oversee various technical accounting areas such as stock-based compensation, leases and investments. This individual will work closely with the Assistant Controller and Corporate Controller to ensure all SEC filings are filed accurately and timely. In this highly visible role, the Senior Manager, External Reporting will work cross-functionally with leaders across the company to support, maintain and enhance our SEC reporting and support the business by providing technical accounting guidance on various initiatives. Additionally, the Senior Manager, External Reporting will partner with the Assistant Controller, Controller and other leaders on strategic projects, including evaluating potential business development and other potential strategic and financing transactions and concluding on the technical accounting implications.
- Manage and execute the SEC filings including the 10-K, 10-Q’s and support the annual Proxy
- Collaborate with IR and Legal on various SEC reporting matters
- Participate in quarterly earnings process, including review of earnings release and earnings call script and presentations
- Oversee the preparation of the consolidation including the preparation of the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statements
- Manage lease accounting activities
- Oversee stock-based compensation expense and accounting around stock options, RSUs and other equity related matters
- Oversee any investment accounting activities
- Work closely with external auditors to drive timely accounting conclusions and disclosures. Act as a primary point of contact throughout the audit process for external/internal auditors and consultants on technical matters and financial reporting
- Drive continuous process improvement in both the Finance/Accounting teams as well as in external reporting process
- Research application of accounting standards, determine potential effects to Vericel of new accounting standards and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders throughout the company, including Senior Management
- Research various technical accounting matters, conclude on the proper U.S. GAAP treatment, document technical accounting memos and present to Senior Management and/or external auditors as needed.
- Develop, document and maintain accounting policies, including updating or developing new policies to ensure consistency and compliance with GAAP and other reporting requirements; Provide ongoing training of Company’s accounting policies
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of process improvements including automation within the ERP and other tools where possible, to simplify, standardize and streamline processes
- Manage, train and develop team members
- Ad hoc projects as needed
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
An ongoing commitment to conducting our global business according to the highest legal and ethical standards, and to continually pursue excellence in the development and delivery of all of our products and services. This includes:
- Respecting the laws and operating within the applicable regulations of the places in which we conduct business, as well as our own Company policies and procedures.
- Being honest and treating people with respect and courtesy.
- Constantly striving to make a great place to work, and a company respected for the quality of its people and products.
- Acting as role models for our fellow employees by acting responsibly, fairly, and honestly in our dealings and exercising sound judgment in performing our jobs.
- 7+ years of experience; CPA required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required; master’s degree in accounting preferred
- 3+ years Public company experience
- Life sciences/Biotech/Medtech experience preferred
- Expertise and experience in U.S. GAAP, ASC 606 and 842 and SOX
- Experience with Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience with financial reporting tools such as Workiva and Adaptive Insights
- Strategic mindset with ability to manage multiple deliverables and projects
- Willingness to be into the details
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.