VP of Finance
Job ID: BH436635
Category: Finance Director
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
VP of Finance
Contract Duration: Open ended
Job Location: Cambridge (Hybrid schedule)
Company Information, Industry, Size: Non Profit
Interview Process: Virtual
- Non Profit exp
- 10+ years experience.
- Large company
- Health or Human Services industry
- Experience in audit, taxation, risk management and treasury
The Vice President of Finance is responsible for the operational and personnel management of the following Finance Department areas: the Revenue Team, the Controller’s General Accounting Team,
Payroll, Purchasing, Accounts Payable, and Rep Payee functions. He or she ensures strong individual and team performance as well as operational efficiency and achievement of departmental and organizational goals. He or she is a member of and works closely with Vinfen’s executive team representing the finance
department at senior operational management meetings.
The VP of Finance responsibilities heavily emphasize revenue cycle management including billing and collection and the related IT systems as well as the related internal and external reporting. He or she must
possess a solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
Significant prior health and human services experience is necessary including third-party billing and collections. This should include behavioral health, ambulatory behavioral health/clinic services, and
intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential job duties/responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the information listed below:
• Manages the leaders of the revenue cycle in the performance of all operational activities including all facets of billing and collections. Includes management of the related information systems (e.g., electronic health records and accounts receivables subsidiary ledgers). Also includes all related internal and external reporting (e.g., utilization reports and timely actionable information for the field/operations).
• Actively participates in cash collection activities and denials management. Must have
experience and willingness to engage in deep dives to identify problems and develop action plans as needed to improve collections.
• Continues the development and establishment of best practices for regular receivables review, analysis, and collection processes. Implements any needed .
• Monitors the establishment of procedures, controls, and operations of the HUD and housing subsidy processes to ensure the timely billing and receipt of all related tenant and funding agency funds.
• Manages the leaders of all operational areas of the Finance Department described above; defines individual staff responsibilities, metrics and measurements, and performance goals; holds staff responsible for meeting departmental and organizational goals.
• Mentors and ensures the strong individual performance of direct reports; performs coaching,
VP Finance MA Admin 2 employs employment improvement plans, as needed.
• Evaluates financial leadership team tools and methods to improve departmental effectiveness; rolls out tools and training on tools; ensures adoption.
• Evaluate processes; plans and successfully implements process improvements; measures improvement and assesses any obstacles; recommends and implements refinements.
• Oversees the Controller’s preparation of the monthly and annual financial statements and other financial reporting, both internal and external.
• Oversees the Controller’s organization and leadership of the annual external financial audits and other periodic audits; holds team members responsible for their potions of the audits.
• Suggests and oversees implementation and expanded utilization of financial software
applications to improve efficiency in the general ledger, financial reporting, revenue, payroll,
and other related areas.
• Participates in the development of the annual budget, and the adjustments to the budget
through the fiscal year.
• Continues the refinement and maintenance of the cash forecasting process and data.
• Coordinates the procedures and controls over the company-wide Rep Payee processes.
• Participates in acquisition initiatives, including due diligence and plans for integration of systems and personnel.
• Acts as a financial resource for non-financial departments.
• Acts as backup to the Chief Financial Officer to support overflow activities.
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Management-level experience in a variety of finance disciplines, including revenue cycle and accounts receivable management, and general ledger, purchasing, accounts payable, and payroll processing.
• Significant prior health and human services experience, including third-party billing and
collections, is required.
• Significant direct experience with the revenue cycle, collections, and third-party billing and
• Experience in audit, taxation, risk management and treasury valuable.
• Knowledge of non-profit accounting and reporting principles and practices are important with
for-profit knowledge a plus.
• Experience with operational finance and an understanding of non-financial areas, such as operations, business development, human resources, and information technology.
• Excellent management and employee development skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly with all levels of the organization, to both financial and nonfinancial employees.
• Capability to represent the finance organization to internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to conceptualize at a strategical level and think at a detail level.
Minimum 15 years of experience at a management level. Must include senior management level
experience at a comparably sized organization or C-Suite level experience at a smaller organization.
Preferred /Required Education and Credentials:
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field, required. Master’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field, preferred
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.