Controller – Peabody
Job ID: BH434864
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
The Controller will be responsible for the efficient functioning of our financials through a range of fiscal and managerial tasks. The Controller will be responsible for ensuring smooth financial operations on a day-to-day basis including working closely with corporate accounting firm for financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal policies and procedures. The Controller must work well with others and exemplify strong leadership skills, having the ability to help “build out” the accounting department alongside executive team. The Controller must have the ability to adapt and evolve with the company’s future growth plans.
Reporting directly to the Principals, the Controller is an integral part of the Executive Team in supporting the firm's financial needs and developing financial strategy.
Responsibilities of the Controller:
- Prepare timely and complete financial statements and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected financial positions.
- Contribute to the financial planning process to provide meaningful forward-looking direction and identify key risks/uncertainties and plans for potential mitigation.
- Deep understanding of job cost accounting and monthly preparation of the Work in Process Schedule.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with Project Management to ensure timely reporting and accurate job costing information.
- Ability to manage and spearhead monthly job cost (CTC) meetings with project executive and project managers.
- Manage the financial risks of the company, including oversight of accounting practices, including the accounting department, financial reports, tax and audit functions.
- Engage the executive team to develop a range of financial plans and revenue forecasts. Be responsive daily to executive team needs and provide accurate, timely financial reports.
- Familiar with ProCore Project Management software and its integration with accounting platforms.
- Assess the company's financial performance against revenue forecasts monthly and the long-term strategy.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the company including assistance in filing of all tax returns, including managing the relationship with the Company third party CPA.
- Oversee the administration, review and reconciliation of cash management, asset/liability risk management system, and other financial activities.
- Represent the company to the financial community, including financial institutions and auditors.
- Work with executive leadership to ensure operational success through cost analysis support and compliance with all contractual requirements.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop accounting staff of 1-3 employees as we grow, including managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Responsible for implementing new accounting software
- Work closely with 3rd Party Accounting Firm compiling important information for the following:
- Quarterly Financial Statements
- Annual Sales Tax returns
- Taxes, workers' comp and audits
- Filing federal 941 and state tax filings quarterly with withholding tax payments made as required
- Ensuring all quarterly estimated tax payments are filed (federal, State, & city)
- Yearly 1099s
- Issuing employee W-2
- Input direct costs into Procore & QuickBooks (non-subcontractor/PO associated)
- Monthly job cost reporting, including job profit reports, aging reports, company P&L reports, credit card summary reports & WIP (Work in Place) reports.
- Renew annual reports
- Ensure all projects are fully billed and paid before closing
- Handle all banking, deposits & monthly bank reconciliations
- Employee Expense Report reconciliation, including personal and credit cards
- Accounts receivable collection activities
- Accounts payable activities to include processing/cut subcontractor and vendor payments (issuance of checks by Internal Ops Manager)
- Process bi-weekly payroll, including payroll taxes & pay roll quarterly reporting; report in Procore & Quickbooks as needed.
Requirements of the Controller:
- Commitment & willingness to own, manage & lead Owners through financial developments, in preparation for future growth.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related discipline required; MBA and/or a CPA is also required.
- 10+ years related experience in engineering services or construction industry and/or public accounting experience.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to effectively manage and develop a team.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, and polished interpersonal skills.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.