Job ID: BH429118
Category: Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Practice Assistant
- High School Diploma/GED
- Prev. Administrative/Front Desk Experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and comfortable with computer software programs
- Associate’s Degree, Secretarial Certificate, or Bachelor’s Degree
- Healthcare and/or Healthcare Administration Experience
The Practice Assistant will provide administrative support and customer support to the clinic through various responsibilities outlined below.
1. Answer all incoming phone calls in a polite and courteous manner. Triage all phone calls appropriately throughout the division and hospital. Page Physician Assistants with medical questions from patients, in accordance with protocol.
2. Schedule patients for outpatient clinic appointments, both in person and over the telephone, in as timely a fashion as possible and in accordance with the Attending’s directions.
3. Thoroughly create and schedule all coordinating chest x-rays and chest CT scans for the outpatient clinic appointments mentioned above, also in as timely a fashion as possible and in accordance with the Attending’s directions.
4. Clearly communicate appointment/imaging information to patients both at time of booking, as well as during confirmation calls (to be made for every patient at least one day before patient’s appointment).
5. Check-in patients, including obtaining copy of front and back of insurance card for all new patients (or patients who have recently changed insurance), collecting from patient any updates to their “Summary 1” and/or “Summary 2” forms, and collecting any and all applicable copays.
6. “Batch-out” copays and deliver copays and batches to Practice Manager/Practice Coordinator prior to leaving each day.
7. Check all patient insurance eligibility and obtain all necessary referrals/authorizations prior to each clinic.
8. Responsible for managing the billing rejection and appeal database through the insurance work queue. Target to be under 25 pending invoices
9. Maintain “No-Show” list and make notes in Epic and/or mail letters as necessary in regard to patient no-show’s/cancellations.
10. Contact patients on “Bump” list according to “Bump” list protocol, making notes in Epic appointment message and/or mailing letters as necessary according to said protocol.
11. Log all incoming outside hospital imaging, and send to Film Library for upload into Centricity, in a timely fashion.
12. Check Front Desk voicemail throughout the day and follow up on all voicemails by 5pm.
13. Ensure waiting room and restroom are clean and organized throughout the day. Prepare waiting room at beginning and ending of each day including, but not limited to coffee, magazines, pastries, patient information booklets.
14. Prepare all temporary charts for patients’ office visits on a daily basis, including batching out and attaching necessary paperwork to charts. Assemble all charts for late add-ons and walk-ins.
15. Disassemble charts after clinic and scan any medical records received and/or created during patient’s visit.
16. Communicate with the clinic team, including manager, all patient precautions that the clinic needs to be aware of in regard to treatment.
17. Fax/mail all medical requests to the requesting facility or Physician, in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
18. All other duties as assigned by manager.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
-Excellent interpersonal skills and flexibility.
-Excellent oral and written skills.
-Understanding of and ability to use medical terminology.
-Computer software and word processing skills including: MS Office Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel
-Requires an ability to work effectively with physicians, physician assistants, and other clinical and support staff.
-Strong communication and organizational skills.
-Ability to focus detailed concentrated effort to multiple projects and re-establish priorities as necessary.
-Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive and confidential issues.
-Initiative and ability to work both independently and as a member of a functional team.
-Ability to collect and interpret data from patient records.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.