Job ID: BH416790
Category: Underwriter, Administrative Assistant
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Location: Owings Mills, MD (Onsite; some remote opportunity)
Hours: M-F 8hrs/day – 40hrs/wk
Interview Process: Video Call or Phone Screen
- HS Diploma
- Job-related experience
Working as a Surety Underwriting Assistant, the select candidate will work on the complex processing transactions and provide support to the Surety Underwriting team and Agents. The position will have extensive contact with agents and clients and assist in inputting new bond transactions, endorsements and supporting surety underwriting information management, updating agency information, and providing administrative support as needed.
• Subject matter expert for the most complex processing transactions which may include reinsurance, Work-in-Progress, assumed and ceded transactions, Resolves complex reconciliation problems as necessary.
• Process Surety business through data entry supporting one or more product lines within a defined territory applying knowledge and understanding of rating scenarios, and producing error free work through strong attention-to-detail. This includes but is not limited to: prepare and execute new bonds, riders, enter rates and code new business, renewals, cancellations, endorsements, and reinstatements.
• Provide underwriting support to Surety Underwriting team (Underwriters, Bond Managers, etc) and legendary service to internal and external customers, including agents and clients within a defined territory. Assists with customer inquiries and questions, as well as the input of new bond transactions.
• Input, update and retrieve information using various systems, including billing/workflow, underwriting analysis and contractor's database systems.
• Uses excellent verbal and written communication skills to engage with Home Office and field teams, Customer Accounting, Surety IT, Surety Claims, attorneys, and additional internal and external customers.
• Apply considerable independent judgment and critical thinking skills to complete most complex or specialized assignments/tasks working within defined policies and procedures and to optimize planned business results.
• Assist Finance with collections inquiries, premium and commission discrepancies upon request. May require a high level of independent interaction with agents/brokers. Surface more complex collection issues to Admin Manager and/or designee, as policy specifies or requested.
• Review and reconciles internal system reports as directed by Manager.
• Apply advanced level technical knowledge of Surety Operations Processing policies and procedures acquired through experience in job area or through advanced level technical training.
• High degree of interaction with Bond Manager and underwriting personnel to provide all support required in various underwriting functions, including but not limited to, financial file maintenance, WIP schedule entry analysis etc. These functions may include some financial reporting under the direction of the Bond Manager, or designee.
• Process, coordinate and/or validate data and documents to ensure quality and customer satisfaction.
• Perform technical support within the office and assists in the resolution of IT problems in coordination with Surety IT Department.
• Provide support and guidance within office over less experienced team members Assure high quality service delivery by team. May mentor less experienced Underwriting Assistants to fulfill the service standards of the department.
• Provide Administrative Support.
• Special projects as assigned
• 5+ years previous Surety underwriting assistant experience is expected. Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Solid understanding of surety business, rating, and all processing functions required to support operations strongly preferred. This includes ability to handle most complex bond processing activities.
• Proven ability to organize personal work flow as well as the work flow of others.
• Demonstrates ability to lead and mentor others.
• Exhibits high degree of independence, critical thinking skills, and proficiency with bond processing/assigned tasks.
• Learns quickly and demonstrates an open attitude when facing new problems, processes, or procedures, and takes advantage of diverse sources of information to solve problems.
• Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment as well as independently.
• Demonstrates the ability to produce error-free work and achieve high levels of accuracy.
• Able to multi-task and prioritize work in order to accomplish the most
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.