Senior Manager, Accounting
Job ID: BH409258
Category: SEC Reporting, CPA, Assistant Controller, Accounting Manager
Outstanding opportunity for an accounting professional with life science/biotech industry experience to join a fast growing, publicly held biotech company planning to double in size over the next year as Senior Manager, Accounting!
Job Title: Senior Manager, Accounting
Job Location: Cambridge/Remote
Info on role: Position reports to the Controller and will be a well rounded role responsible for a variety of duties including helping to drive the monthly/quarterly GL accounting close, R&D accounting, will assist with SEC reporting and FP&A while managing a few people at the Senior and Staff Accountant levels.
The Senior Manager, Accounting is responsible for areas relating to financial reporting and the financial close process. This position, reporting to the Controller, will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely closes and filing of financial statements.
The Senior Manager, Accounting will supervise senior and staff accountants and will be responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. The Senior Manager, Accounting will primarily be responsible for driving portions of the quarterly close process, enhancing the financial statement preparation and review processes, and positioning the department to execute on future monthly closes.
This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities. These include general ledger preparation, financial reporting, quarterly and year-end audit preparation, and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Senior Manager, Accounting will interact frequently with senior-level executives, which requires strong interpersonal communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Oversee aspects of the accounting books and records and ensure the accounting close is completed timely and accurately per applicable accounting standards. This includes the preparation and review of key balance sheet account reconciliations and key accruals.
- Collaborate with research, development, and manufacturing functions to prepare/review R&D accruals
- Liaise with CRO’s and vendors regarding completion of work at period end
- Work with Finance and business leadership to implement process improvements to enhance the R&D accrual process
- Partner with FP&A during quarter-end to discuss activities and accruals for the R&D functions
- Oversee senior and staff accountants on status updates, performance reviews, delegation of procedures, and communicate with Controller to meet team objectives Assist in SEC Reporting, equity financings, and compliance with taxing authorities
- Assist in the implementation of new accounting systems, and other finance solutions based on system life cycle goals
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting, finance, or business
- 7+ years of professional experience in the accounting or finance fields, preferably in a publicly traded life sciences company
- Proven track record with increasing levels of responsibility and impact
- Solid business acumen, ability to quickly learn and interact across function
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.