Job ID: BH408945
Category: Medical, Receptionist
Medical Secretary-Cardiac Care
3 months (will likely extend/convert)
Location: Washington Heights – 100% onsite
Hours: 9-5 Monday-Friday
The Medical Secretary will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the heart failure and transplant program.
- Serve as Medical Secretary to support both the clinical and academic responsibilities of the practices of the heart failure and transplant program within the Medicine–Cardiology Department in a floating capacity within.
- Work with Call Center in screening calls, taking messages, responding to caller inquiries, transferring calls and sending messages via Epic In-Basket and secure chat.
- Monitor the physicians’ daily patient schedules. Serve as the contact for scheduling follow-up appointments for office visits and procedures; and obtaining referrals and verification coverage.
- Review insurance information, obtain all necessary pre-certifications for procedures and other services, and obtain records and referral information for patient appointments.
- Verify patient information in Epic including determine and collect insurance payments and co-payments.
- Coordinate required patient documents to be scanned into the CROWN filing system. Scan all existing and new patient charts. Work closely with the Nurse Practitioners to process patient appointments and documents.
- Conform to all applicable HIPAA, billing compliance and safety guidelines.
- Medical Secretaries will rotate and cross cover other medical secretaries in the department.
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education, training and experience in a clinical practice setting.
Knowledge of Epic systems preferred.
Knowledge of Medical terminology and 2-3 years of related experience.
Must have excellent customer service skills in a high-pressure environment.
Must be able to interact with all levels of staff and must have an understanding of patient confidentiality.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.