Contract Tracing Assistant
Job ID: BH406417
Category: Medical, Medical Assistant, Health and Safety (EHS), Administrative Assistant
Contract Tracing Assistant
6-12 months (will likely extend)
Hours: 35 per week
- Ability to successfully complete the John Hopkins University on line Contact Tracing training program
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills, telephone communications and etiquette
- Ability to maintain neat and organized records
- Competency in computer software including Word, Excel, G mail, Google Docs and Shared Drives.
- Associate degree in Environmental Health and Safety, Occupational Health and Safety, Safety Engineering, Safety Management, Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Safety Science, or other related degree demonstrating Health and Safety.
- Proven work experience as a health or safety professional
- Certified Contact Tracer- John Hopkins University Certification
- Experience conducting and/or managing Contact Tracing
- Demonstrate evidence of a sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students, and to staff and students with disabilities.
The Contact Tracing Assistant (CTA) serves as a member of the Environmental Health & Safety Team, of the Office of Public Safety, at Teachers College (TC) and is assigned to conduct COVID-19 Contact Tracing within the population of Teachers College, and to facilitate the Random Sampling/Testing Program and conduct contact tracing that ensues from that Program. The CTA reports directly to the Director of Environmental Health & Safety and works full-time, primarily during business hours Monday through Friday. The position of TCA is temporary, at-will employment.
The CTA works to limit the spread of COVID-19 by interviewing and providing health education and information to individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19; individuals who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive; and individuals seeking general COVID-19 information.
The CTA will be provided with scripts, databases, and other work tools, as well as training needed to successfully perform the duties associated with this role. The CTA must comply with policies, procedures, and training provided by TC, including on topics such as handling protected health information and other confidential information.
The responsibilities require sound judgment, tact, empathy and excellent oral and written communication skills. The incumbent will be self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision. The CTA is a highly visible and responsible position requiring a strong work ethic and devotion toward meeting that commitment.
- Participate in provided training to become familiar with scripts, COVID-19 health education concepts, and EHS procedures.
- Follow scripts and procedures when communicating with cases (people newly diagnosed with COVID-19), contacts (people who have been in close contact with cases), and members of the public seeking information about COVID-19 vaccines.
- As required by NYC health department, help cases recall everyone with whom they have had close contact during the timeframe while they may have been infectious; call contacts of cases to discuss potential exposure and provide education; and monitor cases and contacts daily for the duration of their isolation or quarantine period.
- Call cases and contacts to gather information; provide health education and information on isolation and quarantine guidelines; refer individuals to COVID-19 testing; and offer resources to support adherence to quarantine and isolation guidelines.
- Report all applicable Campus cases to NYC DOH and NYS DOH accordingly.
- Accurately enter information collected during calls into the relevant database according to EHS procedures. As directed by EHS management when applicable, research and correct data errors in databases.
- Track all COVID cases and contacts and submit weekly statistics to EHS management.
- Work closely with Office of Human resources and the Office of Student Affairs to get relevant contact information necessary to contact cases and/or contacts.
- Respond to emails, incoming calls and voicemails by providing general COVID-19 health education, referrals for quarantine and isolation resources, vaccine information where applicable etc.
- Refer all inquiries to the appropriate campus resources.
- Communicate with members of the public/TC Community in a professional and empathetic manner.
- Maintain contact with EHS management by regularly engaging on channels of communication, including email, phone, team meetings, etc.
- Conduct other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain required records, compliance reporting obligations, and associated documents and records as required
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.