Job ID: BH403223
Category: Controller, Assistant Controller
Industry and Size: Medical device company, founded in 2015. On the verge of commercializing very soon and have plans to go through an IPO in the coming months and expecting very strong growth. Backed by private investors.
Location: Acton, MA
Why Open: Newly created position
Info on role: Newly created position reporting to the CFO. Company is on the verge of going public and looking for someone who can own SEC reporting as well as operational and technical accounting. Currently, it will be the CFO, Controller and a Bookkeeper who will help with the transactional accounting, but the plan is to have the Controller hire a Staff/Senior Accountant shortly after they start and then build a team as the company grows. Great opportunity to get into a fast growing medical device company on the verge of explosive growth that is going public.
The Controller must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should possess knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulations and provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
The Controller will be the principal keeper of the company’s books and records and make sure the company is in compliance with applicable accounting requirements (including SEC reporting) and ensure the Company is adhering to its financial plan.
The Controller will also ensure that resources of the company are protected, and that cash and other assets are used for their intended purpose. In addition, the position will be the primary support to the CFO in providing information to the executive team, shareholders and the Board of Director
Role and Responsibilities:
– Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements and SEC reporting.
– Primary responsibility for audit and quarterly reviews, coordinating activities of external auditors.
– Manage month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing.
– Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions including A/P, A/R, Payroll and a small team of direct reports.
– Establish accounting policies and procedures.
– Develop close procedures which helps the company report its financial results in a timely manner.
– Managing the budget process, prepare budgeting reports and forecasts and report to leadership.
– Analyze financial data in accordance with GAAP and SEC requirements.
– Compare actual performance against budget and recommend actions.
– Ability to communicate effectively with vendors and clients.
– Proven ability to manage competing priorities and handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion.
– Oversee the booking and records detailing transactions and expenses in accordance with GAAP and revenue recognition rules.
– Oversee the payment of expenses and invoices consistent with company policies and controls.
– Serve as the business owner of the accounting system and ensure the automation of key processes.
– Oversee, mentor, manage, hire and train a staff (currently one, more in the future).
– Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements.
– Ensure compliance with tax requirements and serve as the primary point of contact with outside tax consultants.
– Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
– Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
– Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
– Evaluating accounting and internal control systems
– Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
– Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
– 2-5 years managing and developing a finance team at a public company.
– Prior experience in public accounting strongly preferred.
– Experience in a fast paced, dynamic environment (biotech preferred).
– Team and detail oriented. Hands-on. Driven. Humble.
– High level of interpersonal skills.
– Attention to detail and accuracy.
– Solid knowledge of accounting principles, laws, and regulations (GAAP, SEC).
– Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with management.
– Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required; Masters preferred; CPA preferred.
– Experience with accounting software and MS Excel/ Word/ PowerPoint.
– Ability to work in our Acton, MA office, on-site/remote hybrid negotiable.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.