Job ID: BH399674
Category: Receptionist, Office Manager, Data Entry, Administrative Assistant
5 Months (will likely extend longer)
Location: Boston, MA
Hours: 28 hours per week, 8 hours per day
1-2 years of administrative or reception experience
Medical environment background
Responsible for the overall clerical functions of the nursing station/front desk. Working collaboratively with the clinical team, the Unit Coordinator participates in delivery of patient care by providing a variety of clerical, customer relations, and support services to patients, their families/visitors, and healthcare team members.
Care of the Patient and Family/Visitors: Performs a variety of direct service activities to ensure that patients and their families/visitors receive timely information and appropriate responses to their needs.
- Greets and directs patients, families, visitors and staff in a friendly courteous positive customer service manner. Identifies self.
- Provides informative, non-clinical information when requested by patients, families, staff or visitors.
- Interacts in a courteous professional manner.
- Coordinates activities of front desk/office support services.
- Performs clerical duties for the department.
- Answers/responds to telephone calls and inquiries in timely manner.
- Handles inquiries; refer calls/inquires to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Checks and replies to e-mail frequently during shift. Checks voice messages and follows up on messages during the shift.
- For Respiratory Therapy Dept:, this also includes: Logs in to the pulmonary function test (PFT) extension at the start of each shift, following breaks and lunch. Logs off the PFT extension at the start of breaks, lunch and at the end of the shift.
- Uses manual/computer programs/terminal for access & data entry of patient information, verifies and updates as necessary, print reports, faxes as needed, order items as needed, schedule appointments, verify information etc.
- Answers patient call lights in a timely manner and immediately, if possible. Responds to patient requests within the scope of his/her role, seeks assistance from the clinical team as appropriate. Follows-up on call light requests to ensure nursing staff has responded. Maintains communication data, i.e. computer, charge/white boards, daily communication sheets, assignment sheets, updates room name tags, pre-caution labels i.e. Participates in orienting patient to their room, call light, telephones and the unit by distributing welcome letters and informational packets.
- Initiates daily RN phone assignment, logs RN daily phone numbers, and demonstrated appropriate procedures to triage calls through patient call system.
- Secures patients personal property and belongings according to hospital procedures, e.g., labeling patient belongings, sending valuables to the safe, etc.
- Ensures a patient belongings list for every patient.
- Upon discharge copies belongings list and files in binder/other designated location. Monitors healthcare computer software systems (i.e., SCM, SDK, GE, etc) and Bed Board for new discharge orders, prints discharge summaries, places discharge summaries in chart, makes clinic appointments for patient prior to discharge, documents as required.
- Handles and distributes mail, flowers, gifts, etc. Facilitates patient/family/visitor access to available hospital services such as, the cafeteria, chapel, gift shop, parking, cashier, etc. Identifies emergency situations and initiates appropriate response actions within the scope of his/her role. Is familiar with area disaster plan and unit.
- Coordinates and makes appointments for transportation for patients and related materials, e.g., VA, chair car, patient transport, medical records, specimens, blood products, requisitions, etc., in a timely manner.
- Uses computer software /terminal for access data entry.
- Interface among various departments: works collaboratively with other units, services, and departments to ensure patients, families, visitors and staff receive needed services information, and materials.
- Takes initiative to identify and resolve/respond to questions and/or discrepancies; acts within the scope of his/her role and refers issues to appropriate team members as needed.
- Performs a variety of office and clerical functions, such as photocopying, sending and receiving fax transmissions; takes actions to respond appropriately.
- Checks copier daily and replaces paper as needed. Calls for service of copier as needed.
- Coordinates units communications including but not limited to, placing alpha numeric text pages to physicians or appropriate staff; calling family members/next of kin, etc.
- May assist in patient admission, discharge and transfer processes by obtaining and managing insurance pre-approvals, obtaining and verifying demographic information, completing free-care applications obtaining and creating medical records.
Medical Record and Order Entry: Maintains accurate, complete, up-to-date patient care records as defined by hospital policy.
- Prepares charts and labels on admission with appropriate documentation sheets and places appropriate clinical pathways in bedside charts, as ordered.
- Maintains complete and accurate medical records through timely filing of results and treatment documents, periodic chart thinning and replenishing of chart forms.
- Ensures that chart made for the patient has all necessary documents and labels in place, etc.
- Label precaution charts with appropriate precaution labels.
- Maintains supply of precaution signs for patient rooms. Accesses, retrieves and enters computerized and non-computerized data, e.g., retrieving lab and test results, etc. Communicates findings to clinical team members as appropriate. Maintains statistics for the PFT Lab and Bronchoscopy areas. (applies to Respiratory Therapy Clinic only)
- Schedule and books patient appointments.
- Uses manual/computer programs/terminal i.e. SCM, IDX, GE i.e. for access & data entry of appointment information.
- Follows the approved scheduling/appointment policy.
- Schedules appointment on day of request. Notifies appropriate individuals as required. Prints appointments as required. Faxes information as needed. Checks chart for completeness. Check to ensure that appropriate pathway sheet is in the chart.
- Obtain discharge summaries, ensuring each page has barcode labeling etc., prior to forwarding materials to medical record room. Recopies and replenishes chart forms, e.g., medication records, activity sheets, etc., prior to expiration, ensuring each form is appropriately labeled with the correct patients name and medical record number.
- Transcribes patient care orders accurately and in a timely manner as appropriate.
- Collaborates with the healthcare team to obtain necessary information for test/procedure scheduling inclusive of necessary pre-test/procedure preparation scheduling, e.g., books necessary, preoperative screening exams/tests in advance of scheduling surgery/procedure; coordinates patient test/procedure schedule to minimize patient travel and time off unit.
- Communicates test/procedure/therapy schedule and relevant changes to patients, families, primary care providers, consultants, and staff as appropriate.
- Maintains appropriate manual/computer logs records, and unit databases, e.g., diet list, census sheets, supply log, and patient board to include updated physician coverage, current pager number and RN name at all times, admissions, discharges, etc.
- Ensures that the unit has a current Downtime Materials Box.
- Maintains and replenishes Downtime Box with appropriate order sheets, Dr's Orders, Progress Notes, lab etc. Is proficient in downtime procedures and aware of location of Downtime Computer and Printer that can be accessed when other computers fail.
Care of the Environment, Equipment and Material Supplies: Performs a variety of activities to ensure a clean, safe and stocked unit environment for patients, visitors and staff.
- Conducts daily rounds, to ensure safe and clean environment and contacts appropriate Department/staff to clean, transport, and/or to address other safety/cleanliness issues.
- Initiates work/repair orders uses computer software /terminal for access data entry.
- Log issues with the ITS rounder or to the help desk.
- Arranges for delivery of expired/broken equipment/materials to appropriate repair site.
- Tracks and returns borrowed/rented equipment.
- As directed by manager, logs/completes daily patient charges/billing, inclusive of appropriate billing codes, either manually or via automated systems according to department /hospital standards. Insures billing is complete and without errors.
- Checks inventories, orders, maintains and restocks to par level supply of papers, forms and office supplies according to par levels and budget targets using on line ordering computer system or paper systems.
- Organizes work and storage area. Verify amounts received as ordered. Orders other supplies as requested.
- Competent in ordering supplies online using Lawson, RSS, and Staples, RR Donnelly i.e. Participates in searches for missing patients, belongings and/or equipment.
- Maintains and troubleshoots basic office equipment including but not limited to, daily reboot of computer, load printer/photocopier with paper, point-of-service monitors, printers, fax machines, addressograph, etc.
Conforms to hospital universal standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights and Standards of Behavior, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided. Works cooperatively and constructively with all staff members and takes appropriate steps to effectively resolve interpersonal conflicts seeking assistance from his/her supervisor when needed. Seeks out and acts upon constructive feedback regarding daily performance and works toward achieving goals identified during performance evaluations. Participate in staff meeting, departmental/unit initiatives, quality improvement projects.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.