Job ID: BH397648
Category: Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Department Secretary
- Associate’s Degree, or combination of formal education and/or secretarial training certification and experience
- 3+ years’ experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor's Degree
- IDX or similar Clinical Information Systems
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology
The Department Secretary will provide administrative support to the hospital through the outlined responsibilities listed below.
1. Provides coordination of patient and unit information; Maintains confidentiality, Answers and prioritizes telephone calls, Gives directions and information, Coordinates patient info, Maintains complete and accurate messages, Coordinates communication to facilitate the admission, transfer, and discharge of patients, Anticipates potential patient appointment problems and discusses alternative plans with the nurse-in-charge, Anticipates potential short and long-term scheduling problems and discusses alternatives with the CNS.
2. Assembles and maintains patient’s medical record; Monitors and assures that a par level of hospital documentation forms is available on the unit, Assembles all new medical records; Assures patient documents stamped with ID, Maintains the record for completeness and signatures notifying clinicians of material to be completed or signed and notifies CNS of any compliance problems, Assures all reports are filed in chart according to sequencing procedure, Maintains patient record with current information, Processes medical release of information forms and within established time frame, Assures that upon patient discharge all chart information is completed, assembled and sent to Medical Records within 24 hours with no more than 2 reported errors per month.
3. Coordinate’s patient schedules and appointments on and off the unit; Schedules tests, exams, and procedures, completes requisitions for laboratory and diagnostic tests according to procedure, Records and communicates appointments, completion of tests, exams and procedures Arranges for proper disposition of patient belongings, Coordinates the transport/escort of patients off the unit.
4. Maintains unit supplies and equipment to ensure availability of items for patient care and staff needs; Orders routine equipment, supplies and forms according to established stock levels and requisition procedures as demonstrated by maintaining supplies within budget levels, Processes patient charges for equipment or supplies or transportation and special services Monitors stocks and supplies and returns outdated, discontinued or dirty items to correct department for credit or reprocessing, Monitors equipment and the environment, reports malfunctions or hazards to the CNS and process repair requisitions, Initiates follow-up action to notify hospital department of equipment or environmental problems, Maintain accurate petty cash system for patient and unit monies.
5. Contributes to the efficient operations of the unit; Prepares monthly staff schedules for CNS approval within time frames with no more than 2 incidents of late schedules, Participates in orienting new nursing staff and other AUA staff to the unit, Responds to emergency or code situations, Compiles accurate statistical and quality assurance unit data within requested time frame, Anticipates unit needs and provides support to unit for transport of equipment or supplies during and urgent or emergency situation.
6. Completes all mandatory continuing education requirements within the review year.
7. Contributes to the effective interpersonal and community relations to ensure the quality of patient care and to promote a positive image of the Hospital; Communicates in a positive, supportive, and courteous manner to patients, families, and hospital personnel, Collaborates with other departments and outside agencies. Presents oneself in a positive and well-groomed manner to patients and visitors by adhering to professional dress standards
8. Demonstrates ability to organize assignments and set priorities completing assignments within scheduled work hours; Maintains work schedules with CNS approval.
· Associate degree or equivalent formal education in secretarial or related program or;
· At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience
· Knowledge of medical terminology specific to the specialty preferred
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office required
· Ability to work efficiently under pressure to meet deadlines
· IDX or similar clinical Information systems experience preferred
· All employees must possess basic computer skills to use a variety of electronic or online systems for communication, clinical and administrative purposes.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.