Job ID: BH388829
Category: Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Practice Assistant
A healthcare provider in the Boston area is looking for a Practice Assistant to join their team and help support a growing specialty clinic.
- Healthcare experience
- Administrative experience
- EPIC experience
- ARIA experience
Under the direction of the Practice Manager, the Central Nervous System (CNS) Sr. Practice Coordinator has direct responsibility for oversight of the clinical operations of the CNS practice within Radiation Oncology. The individual has responsibility for Referral and Scheduling Management, Data Management, Materials Management, and Billing Charge Capture. As a Senior member of the Patient Care and administrative Team, the Senior Practice Coordinator for CNS is responsible for responding to the needs of patients and family members and takes a proactive role in efficient operation of the unit. This role will also be responsible for the coordination and monitoring of schedules, patient classification, and other systems that support the patient care unit. The CNS Senior Practice Coordinator must be a highly energetic and professional individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills. The individual must demonstrate independent judgment within the scope of this position, while maintaining effective relations with others.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Candidate is responsible for overall coordination of the clinical and administrative aspects of the Central Nervous System (CNS) division in Radiation Oncology. This includes:
· Managing patient referrals
· Scheduling activities in EPIC and the Radiation Oncology medical record system (ARIA)
· Critical coordination of timing of treatments with other disciplines and protocols
· Preparing and maintaining patient records
Reports directly to the Practice Manager, and works in conjunction with the MDs, physicists, nurses, practitioners, radiation therapists and other designated program personnel.
1. Manages systems to receive and distribute timely patient referrals to and from the Radiation Oncology program
2. Schedules patient Consults, diagnostic exams, and follow-up appointments for CNS Radiation Oncology patients, and informs patients and staff of appointments and changes related to therapy and appointments. Critical point person for communication with physics, therapists, RN’s, and other care providers (i.e. Radiology, Neurosurgery) for effective and timely scheduling.
3. Coordinates Treatment Scheduling with the ARIA Task Force (ATF) Scheduling team to ensures Sim Request Forms and Intents are completed.
4. Obtains and prepares records/films in preparation for appointments and tracks location of materials.
5. Coordinates information flow among CNS Radiation Oncology and multidisciplinary teams (physics, nursing, and MD, Neurosurgery and Medical Oncology).
6. Works with department staff and physics to resolve resource conflicts. Consults with therapy, physics, nursing, and physicians to prioritize requests.
7. Provides coverage as directed by Practice Manager when necessary.
8. As a member of the Patient Care Team, the Sr. Practice Assistant is responsible for ensuring that the patient and family members are attended to in a professional manner. Must maintain a professional and friendly demeanor always.
9. Ensures other CNS support staff are responsible and responding to the needs of patients and families in a timely and professional manner.
10. The Sr. Practice Coordinator will work cohesively as a member of the Patient Care Team and will take a proactive role in ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the unit.
11. Maintains hospital service standards, with attention to personal/behavioral, staff teamwork, and patient-staff interaction guidelines.
12. Has oversight of patient referrals, physician scheduling, and case flow.
13. Identifies daily scheduling conflicts and makes changes as needed.
14. Delegates administrative tasks and supervises Practice Assistant II team members.
15. Establishes and maintains effective communication and professional relationships with all Hospital staff and customers (patients, families, colleagues, visitors, referring physicians, office staff, radiologists etc.). Solicits their service requirements and facilitates the implementation of changes as necessary.
16. Works with billing team to ensure billing guidelines are being followed.
17. Oversees administrative duties to provide patients with specific preparation instructions, directions to hospital, parking options, public transportation alternatives, etc.; confirms date and time of procedure.
18. Oversees the preparation, completion, and accuracy of patients’ charts, face sheets, consent forms, daily schedule, and all other clerical paperwork. Ensures compliance with Radiation Oncology and Hospital policy. Responsible for review and insurance approval prior to the procedure and investigates payer denials.
19. Assures that CNS treatments can accommodate timely transportation of patients to and from area meets the deadlines of the CNS schedule.
20. Develops a robust process to ensure that all telephone calls from patients are triaged and returned within 24 hours.
21. Establishes work plan and assures timely completion of routine daily tasks per Hospital and Department policies and standards.
22. Available to cross-cover scheduling tasks when other administrative assistants are on leave.
23. Performs all other duties as required or assigned.
1. Fosters a culture of continuous process improvement within CNS
2. Participates in quality improvement projects for CNS to better serve all customers.
3. Develops and implements new policies and procedures to improve the exchange of
4. Leads CNS Clinical Operations team meetings. Creates agendas for team meetings and is responsible for delegation of tasks and accountable for the execution of new processes and initiatives.
5. Participate in our monthly CNS operations meetings to help us align our procedural and administrative workflows with ongoing clinical and research initiatives.
Administrative tasks / Data Management:
1. Supervises new patient intake for consultations, including timely retrieval of medical and radiation records, outside pathology for hospital review, and outside radiology reports and imaging. Maintains triage pathways for new patient intake and ensures response to consult requests in a timely manner. Available to cross-cover scheduling tasks when other administrative assistants are on leave.
2. Maintains and communicates accurate information to assist referring physicians, office staff, and patients to schedule CNS procedures. Answers and/or appropriately directs questions.
3. Creates workflows that can accommodate additional schedule needs dictated by active clinical protocols. Responsible for pathways that adhere to protocol requirements for treatment scheduling and follow-up.
4. Interfaces with research personnel to ensure proper scheduling of research related tasks/visits.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.