Job ID: BH388360
Category: Accounting and Finance
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Finance Coordinator (30 hours)
Contract with permanent potential
Job Location: Boston, Green B Line
Hours: 30 hours per week over 5 days
Hybrid work from home schedule
Company Information: Higher Education
Interview Process: phone screen and 2 video interviews
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Exposure to Payroll
- Exposure to Financial Analysis
- Higher Education
- 1-3 years’ experience
Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration, the Financial Coordinator will provide support in the areas of Finance, and Manages employee payroll functions of the School. Establishes precedent within limits, and administers operating rules and procedures, under the guidance of the Director of Finance and Administration. Exercise independent judgement and discretion with ability to identify problems and initiate corrective action. Manages student and employee payroll functions of the School. Compile, analyze and prepare summaries on fiscal information to support management decision making. Make recommendations to management based on knowledge of financial activity, investigate discrepancies and negotiate solutions with appropriate University offices to resolve problems. Train staff on financial systems.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting or related field. 1-3 years of responsible accounting and financial analysis experience. Advanced level proficiency with Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint skills commensurate with the above.
Experience with SAP, Payroll, and Financial Analysis experience. Continuing education or training in accounting standards.
The School of Social Work believes that the cultural and social diversity of our faculty, staff, and students is vitally important to the distinction and excellence of our research and academic programs. The School of Social Work seeks to continue diversifying our faculty, student and staff ranks, recognizing that diversity of experience and thought deepens the intellectual endeavor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Planning and Analysis
Manage daily financial operations of the School of Social Work to ensure efficient processing of transactions and compliance with applicable policies through oversight of all financial activity within the School.
Develop and recommend internal policy changes to the Director of Finance and Administration. Advise the Director of Finance and Administration on University policies and procedures related to financial transactions. Oversee the p-card and travel card programs, including card issuance, training, and review of transactions. Work with managers who have a department budget to evaluate historical spending and plan and justify future expenditures.
- Make decisions about how charges should be allocated consistent with SSW’s practices and financial goals. Monitor accounts (excluding sponsored program accounts) and reconcile on a monthly basis; review assigned accounts as needed with department heads; monitor usage of internal funding allocations relative to budget and assess appropriateness of the use of funds based on the School’s programmatic and strategic goals. Update and distribute monthly expense reports for funding allocations and resolve discrepancies with responsible faculty and staff.
- Make bank deposits. Maintain files for financial documents and ensure appropriate records retention per University policy. Monitor photocopy charges and process cost recovery monthly
- Other duties as assigned.
· Manage faculty and staff payroll by establishing internal procedures and serving as liaison to central Payroll and Human Resources teams. Represent SSW’s needs at University meetings related to payroll policy.
· Analyze ambiguous payroll and personnel cost issues and suggest process improvements.
· Serve as the payroll contact and oversee payroll function for 200+ faculty, staff, and contract faculty and teaching professionals and determine the appropriate designation for each hire.
· Break down complex personnel information from different staffing models, including but not limited to employees, outsourced employees, and temps. Communicate results and analysis effectively.
· Coordinate payroll activities with Human Resources to ensure that HR has appropriate information to address employee questions. Ensure benefits activity is properly reflected in employee payment statements.
· Create personnel expense reporting and analyze human capital efficiency.
· Other duties as assigned.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.