Job ID: BH350907
Category: Property Accountant
Job Title: Property Accountant
Location: Washington, DC
Company info: Publicly held, REIT (real estate investment trust).
Why Open: New position open due to growth
The Property Accountant primary responsibility is to record the daily accounting for a portfolio of properties in a timely and accurate manner. This position prepares journal entries, work papers, account reconciliations and other summary reports to support and for presentation in the financial statements.
• All general ledger responsibilities for an assigned group of properties including closing the books on a monthly basis
• Maintain supporting work papers and account analysis for assigned properties, including a monthly closing checklist
• Review variance explanations and monthly accruals, review / prepare portions of property annual budgets, and assist with operating expense reimbursements
• Interact directly with other members of the Accounting Team, on-site and off-site property managers, external auditors, internal auditors and tax return preparers
• Assist with Sarbanes Oxley Compliance Program
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 2 years’ professional experience in accounting, preferable in public accounting or real estate
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with a high attention to detail
• Tenacity toward meeting deadlines, with a strong sense of urgency and good self management discipline
• Ability to work accurately and efficiently
• Effective problem-solving skills and sound judgement
• Ability to function in a team-oriented setting and respond well to constructive criticism • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong ethical character and a sense of humor
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, experience with General Ledger software
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.