Assistant Payroll Manager
Job ID: BH350505
Category: Payroll Manager, Payroll Analyst, Payroll
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
This position reports directly to the Payroll Manager and provides managerial oversight and direction to the Payroll Coordinators in relation to daily payroll operations. Maintains business continuity in the absence of the Payroll Manager. The Assistant Payroll Manager will provide input and support on team building, process improvements, system integrations, implementations, implement processes, and document procedures for internal controls. The position will conduct internal audits periodically of various payroll areas and document recommendation for improvements and guidance of any changes. The Assistant Payroll Manager is extremely detail-oriented, possesses strong leadership skills and significant knowledge of payroll administration including state and federal regulations.
- Responsible for the day to day operational responsibilities of the Payroll department through the Payroll confirmation process for all paid staff including union and non-union positions.
- Provide direction and support to Payroll team to resolve time reporting and pay issues.
- Collaborate with HR to ensure appropriate data workflow for job changes.
- Assign Payroll tasks and guidance to staff to meet job requirements and ensure that job requirements are met.
- Prepare data material for internal and external audit requests.
- Calculate and communicate salary overpayments effectively to resolve issues accurately and update Payroll system and applicable staff records as needed.
- Review and approve departmental requests for appropriate time approval system access.
- Ensure accurate, timely and adequate follow up by Payroll staff of all Payroll requests that come through the email inbox, phone and voicemails.
- Assist with preparation and facilitation of year end activities between IS, HR, Benefits and Payroll to ensure continued operations when transitioning calendar years.
- Maintains earning and deduction control tables to ensure accurate payment and withholdings for staff payments.
- Special assignments as needed
Assist with hiring, training and providing direct supervision on day to day work for the Sr. Payroll Coordinator and Payroll Coordinator. This includes assigning, reviewing and evaluating work and when needed, providing training and guidance to ensure work is completed.
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- American Payroll Association Certification a plus
- 5 years of full payroll cycle processing experience
- 2 years supervisory experience required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge and understanding of Payroll concepts and pay based calculations.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft payroll processing and payroll concepts.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Institute policies, state and federal regulations.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, as well as the ability to multi-task.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to resolve issues independently.
- Strong decision making, problem solving skills and root cause analysis to resolve problems.
- Strong MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) skills
- Ability to collaborate and provide information to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work in team setting and communicate effectively with cross-functional groups.
- Ability to become Subject matter expert in Payroll processes, and efficiencies.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.