Job ID: BH344568
Category: Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Coordinator I
Contract: Temp, Temp to Perm
Job Location: Boston, MA
- Associate degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of clinical laboratory experience
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- As a member of a team dedicated to coordinating patient specimens for the Center for Advanced Molecular Diagnostics (CAMD) which is a part of the Department of Pathology. The CAMD is a multi-institutional service consisting of the Molecular Diagnostics, Clinical Cytogenetics and Profile laboratories. Between the laboratories, approximately 20,000 samples are accessioned on an annual basis.
Reporting to the CAMD Administrator, this position is responsible for receiving, accessioning, coordinating, and tracking specimens while handling inquiries from clinicians and verifying patient and client documentation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Under close supervision from Senior CMD Coordinator and/or Supervisor:
a. Evaluates requisition information and accessions cases into the Anatomic Pathology laboratory information system (LIS), PowerPath
b. Receives samples, verifies, and gathers patient and test information as needed
c. Documents information associated with patient specimens, testing and inquiries
d. Troubleshoots basic problems related to specimen and patient information
e. Assists in the filing and logging out patient charts to off-site storage.
f. Assists in the return of patient material to storage areas within the Department of Pathology
g. Retrieves and organizes paraffin blocks/slides from the hospital material banks
h. Organizes slides for Pathologist review and records the Pathologist annotations
i. Expedites requests for rapid test processing and facilitates communication between clinicians and Laboratory professional staff
j. Scan and organize H&E slides into images using a whole-slide image scanner
2. Maintains established department policies, procedures, and objectives, including the areas of quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
3. Performs all other duties and responsibilities as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS: (MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.)
At least an Associate Degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Familiarity of medical terminology preferred. Up to one year experience in a Clinical laboratory preferred, but not required
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Must possess excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize work appropriately.
• Ability to methodically record data with a very high level of accuracy.
• Good interpersonal skills to interact effectively with co-workers, department staff and referring providers.
• Strong computer skills with specific knowledge of Microsoft Office : Word , Excel and PowerPoint
• Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic work environment
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team
• Must be able to handle confidential patient information with absolute discretion and sound judgment
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.