VP, Corporate Controller
Job ID: BH340127
Category: SEC Reporting, CPA, Controller
Job Title: VP, Corporate Controller
Job Location: Cambridge/Remote
Company info: Publicly held, clinical/R&D stage biotech company with 135 employees and looking to double by next year.
Need public/private CPA (ideally big 4 or large national public accounting firm) with publicly held company experience in the life science space (prefer biotech/pharma, but would also consider medical device). Someone with a combination of larger and smaller company experience is preferred, but need some smaller company experience as a larger company only person will not work.
Position will report to the CFO. Looking for a strong Controller who can come in and evaluate the team, be a change agent and make process improvements to help them scale and grow. Will oversee all GL accounting as well as SEC reporting and technical accounting and oversee a team of 5 people.
Vice President, Controller
Essential Functions and Duties
• Coordinate quarterly and annual SEC filings including 10K and 10Q, ensuring compliance with GAAP and other regulations
• Ensure compliance with internal controls and Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404, including the maintenance of documentation, testing procedures and remediation activities
• Oversees proper accounting treatment of all transactions in accordance with GAAP, ensures consistent application among all operating divisions
• Help identify and implement system and process enhancements to improve operational efficiencies across the Company
• Mentor and develop accounting team members
• Research accounting requirements and implications for special transactions
• Stay current with new accounting standards and SEC regulations; provide management with implications of new accounting developments and implementation plans
• Provide guidance/research to finance organization for all technical accounting inquiries and guidance regarding impact
• Manage monthly and quarterly accounting close activities, including all required analyses, balance sheet reconciliations, and technical memo’s/whitepapers
• Partner with FP&A team to help provide timely financial information to colleagues across the Company to help better run the business
• Support proxy and statutory reporting
• Responsible for financial reporting, make necessary improvements to existing controls, and develop new controls when appropriate.
• Drive interactions with external auditors and consultants
Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent required
• CPA preferable
• Minimum 10+ years of experience
• Large, public accounting “Big 4” environment with SEC reporting requirements expertise as well as experience leading a corporate reporting function
• Ability to assess, recommend and implement opportunities for program change and enhancement
• Demonstrated success building relationships and partnering with cross functional internal and external stakeholders
• Executes to a high standard – acts with a sense of urgency, with the end result in mind and is able to follow through to deliver exceptional results
• Resourceful – applies creative, original ideas to accomplish work; identifies more than one way to solve problems
• Strong technical accounting skills
• Collaborates – works in and with teams to achieve outcomes that individuals would not have been able to achieve alone
• Stays in touch – maintains line of sight to team and company priorities; understands and values all areas of business. Creates connections beyond own role/function.
• Challenges self and others – demonstrates critical thinking; challenges assumptions, practices and beliefs • Drives clarity – sets the direction and manages the delivery of results (directly or indirectly) and choices on priorities
• Makes sound timely decisions – integrates knowledge to analyze information and to solve problems; uses judgment to make timely decisions
• Improves continuously – taking an approach to continuous improvement; anticipates and addresses capability gaps to prepare for future challenges
• Builds networks – builds networks internally and externally to stay relevant on new discoveries, trends and uses them to make meaningful connections to drive innovation and learning
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.