Job ID: BH335186
Category: Payroll Manager
The Payroll Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining a high performing, self-sufficient payroll team to support the fast-paced growth of the company. This position will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the payroll process including processing of payroll, payroll accuracy and audits, validation and accuracy of tax filings, payroll system/interfaces and validations and country/local legislation compliance. This position will serve as the primary liaison for internal and external auditors, documentation, reporting and expertise for the payroll system and process. This position collaborates and actively communicates with HR and other departments to review cross-departmental impact.
- Prepare and process full cycle, exempt and non-exempt payrolls; including but not limited to, garnishments, benefits, taxes and off-cycle requests while ensuring compliance with Federal and State regulations for multi-state payrolls.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate/timely.
- Track and report employee hourly, PTO, and Flex PTO time accruals.
- Own all payroll procedures including analysis, design & implementation of changes leading to best practice operations and in accordance with company policies. Particular emphasis will be placed on actively identifying and implementing new systems and processes that ensure continuous improvement in accuracy.
- Manage the payroll accounting function that includes posting all payroll related journal entries in the Company’s accounting system and report for month and quarter end closes.
- Ensure accurate and timely quarter and year-end filings and payments by collecting and verifying data; preparing federal, state and local tax reports and W2 statements.
- Responsible for internal control testing and compliance as well as interact with auditors for the purpose of providing supporting documentation and/or information on internal process that is required for audit.
- Resolve escalations, by providing root cause analysis and corrective action for all complex or non-routine situations for all levels of employees and management.
- Assist with the design of system implementations, testing, and upgrades, as needed.
- Responsible for providing reports to HR for benefit contributions including contributions to flexible spending accounts.
- Efficiently process inquiries from current and former employees and resolve discrepancies as needed.
- Partner with Human Resources on all matters involving employee compensation, benefits and disability payments. Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits, including various stock awards and 401(k) contributions and funding.
- Identify and implement payroll activity process improvements and best practices to drive process excellence and eliminate errors.
- Maintain effective internal controls for the payroll function and proactively work with management to identify efficiency improvements and gaps.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Document and update procedures, and preparing special reports for management
- Manage tax considerations for employees with ex patriot assignments, coordinating individual’s tax issues pertinent to payroll and liaising with outside tax advisors regarding the individual’s program.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field
- Ensure company policies are followed
- Enforce company safety policies
- 3 Reports, two direct reports
- 15+ years of payroll experience. Strong experience in development of efficiencies in payroll processes, directing changes and internal controls.
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- In-depth knowledge of US tax payroll regulations and reporting requirements, including current federal and multi-state payroll tax experience.
- Understanding of Canada payroll tax regulations helpful
- In-depth knowledge of payroll implications regarding stock compensation plans and exercises; VISA/immigrations issues, and ACA.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to prioritize tasks/responsibilities, meet deadlines and thrive under the pressure of time constraints while maintain accuracy and focus on attention to detail.
- Experience with ex pat issues helpful
- Must have Payroll and ERP system experience, UltiPro experience helpful.
- Proficient with SOX and audit requirements in a public company environment.
- Strong personal computer and business solutions software skills.
- Proactive, assertive, strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.