Job ID: BH334910
Category: Accounting and Finance
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Works with multiple sources of funding which may include donor or research restricted funds. Performs or coordinates several areas of financial accounting, recordkeeping, processing or administration. May conduct one or more of the following duties. Prepare budget for department, unit or school working with core or sponsored research funds usually utilizing information and assumptions provided by others. Review or reconcile accounts, transactions, or balances. Provide research and basic data analysis for use in financial planning and decision making. Prepare complex financial reports that may require selection, preparation, and interpretation of data using a complex data query tool and spreadsheet application. Generate entries to accounting and record keeping systems, and establish procedures for tracking and reporting. Process or assist with payments of vendor invoices, and individual reimbursements. Research accounting discrepancies. Associates degree in accounting or 3 to 5 years of experience required. Good written and oral communication skills. Intermediate to advanced proficiency with spreadsheet software required.
Temporary Accountant – Responsible for assisting financial leadership by performing a broad range of financial activities which include:
• Monthly Close
• Faculty Payroll
This position works very closely with the Office for Financial Services (OFS), the central finance department and with the Senior Director of Finance within Exec Ed. Serves as a key resource for staff for various accounting and financial operations-related activities, and participates in the annual budget process.
Provide a high level of customer service by providing professional, timely, and accurate support to internal and external clients. Research and analyze issues as they arise and recommend solutions. More specific responsibilities include:
• Maintain compliance with existing financial policies to ensure control and compliance as established by GAAP
• Play a key role in periodic departmental audits
• Make recommendations for changes in processes and communicate effectively with the Senior Director of Finance when significant issues arise
Monthly & Year-end Close
• Lead the monthly and year-end close, including ownership over all related processes and procedures, coordination with OFS to meet deadlines, issuing a schedule of activities, and maintaining all necessary backup documentation
• Prepare journal entries
Reconciling & Reporting
• Lead the reconciliation process for all administrative units and programs, including programs funded by complex revenue streams; tuition, endowments, gifts, or grants
• Follow up on items such as re-classing miscoded entries, accruing material expenses, reconciling balance sheet items, and investigating issues that are discovered
• Coordinate with OFS to ensure all deadlines are met and all required financial submissions are completed
• Maintain and execute a schedule of recurring period close activities, as well as other financial schedules and reports to be used by Exec Ed leadership for strategic decision making
• Assist with the Faculty Comp section in the Annual Report that is distributed to a wide range of leadership positions
• Ensure all data is captured and reported accurately with strong attention to details
• Review program schedules, faculty class summaries, and update the faculty compensation database.
• Work closely with OFS and HR to determine faculty employment statuses and manage the I-9 process by collecting and verifying the required documents.
• Become a power user in the PeopleSoft payroll system, and a subject matter expert on faculty compensation guidelines. Ensure that faculty payments are made in a timely fashion, at the completion of each program
• Review faculty compensation exceptions in close coordination with the Academic Dean’s Office (ADO), and document appropriately
• Participate in the annual budget process for all program and administrative budgets, specifically providing guidance regarding faculty compensation
• Assist the Finance Manager with the budget submission through the BUDDY system
• Review and approve accounts payable up to $5K, including but not limited to; employee & non-employee reimbursements, corporate & purchasing card payments, vendor set-up requests, vendor invoices, faculty compensation, and tuition refunds.
• Research and follow-up on any missing or late payment inquiries.
• Assist the Finance Manager with departmental trainings on all applicable school and University payment policies, specifically the University’s travel policy.
• Parking Pass requests, and work closely with OFS & Cash Management to research unidentified or missing deposit transactions.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.