Patient Services Representative
Job ID: BH331345
Category: Medical Assistant, Other Area(s)
- The Patient Services Rep communicates with patients and staff using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, online chats, emails, faxes or mail.
- Answers and resolves patient inquires, in a professional, empathetic and patient-centered way, through the use of effective listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Utilizes established Practice guidelines to ensure patients issues are addressed in a timely manner and when necessary, transfers the call to the appropriate person at the Practice for additional consultation.
- Uses a computerized scheduling system to schedule/reschedules appointments determining the right amount of time required for each patient appointment.
- Provides accurate and detailed information and updates patients’ records, using the various management information systems used at the hospital: Logician, EWS, SDK and others.
- Sends detailed confirmation to the patient detailing where and when the appointment is, providing directions as needed, providing applicable and language specific home instructions as well as instructions for any required labs or imaging.
- The conclusion of the pre-visit prep process is the production of a “traveler” document that will accompany the patient during their visit with the physician.
- The traveler will summarize the information collected during the pre-visit process, along with all information from the patient record, to help guide the physician in their care planning activities.
- Follows up with the Patient after a visit to confirm understanding and compliance with the care plan developed by the Physician (care plan management).
- Assists patient with completing authorizations, managing and coordinating referrals and assisting with prescription refills.
- Processes referral and works with insurance companies to initiate and follow-through on all required prior authorizations for care. Identifies opportunities to improve the work processes and environment, and changes in Practice protocols; remains current on new developments in health care.
- Escalates appropriately any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient
- Attends scheduled training sessions for phone support, customer service, systems upgrades, newly acquired clinical systems, or other relevant training sessions, as directed by manager.
- Assists in the training/orientation of new personnel under the direction of a manager and/or supervisor.
- Participates in staff meetings/is expected to identify process issues that are obstacles to providing a positive patient experience.
- General Duties and Standards Adapts to changes in the departmental needs including but not limited to: offering assistance to other team members, floating, adjusting assignments, etc Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights and HIPAA and privacy rules, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes hospital’s behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the department and the hospital’s mission and goals.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures. Other duties as needed.
- A minimum of a High School diploma/GED is required.
- ???????At least 2 years medical office or call center work experience required.
- Training as a Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, or other relevant healthcare background, training and/or experience that will be provide the ability to understand and be fluent in medical terminology
- One of the follow:
- Associate degree
- Medical Assistant Certificate
- Equivalent training plus at least 1 year related work experience
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Bachelor’s degree (related experience would be preferred but not required).
- Experience in the medical field or as a call center or customer service agent is preferred.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.