Research Admin- Boston
Job ID: BH331303
Category: Accounting and Finance
Specialty: Accounting & Finance
Research Administrator- Boston
Between 32-40 hours per week
Regular hours, between 4-5 days per week
Approximate length of temp assignment:
3 months to start
Potential to convert to perm
Location where temp will be sitting:
Karp Research Lab, 8th Floor
Hospital- 10000 employees
Boston- Longwood/Remote; training will be at least partially in office, then mix of in office and remote
No Parking MBTA green lines
CORI/ county criminal- immunizations
Measles (2 doses or + titer)
Mumps (2 doses or + titer)
Rubella (1 dose or + titer)
Varicella (2 doses or + tier or documentation of disease)
TB Skin testing (annual, last within 90 days of hire), This requires 2 implantations and 2 readings, and takes min 4 days total.
2 years of research administrative experience OR Bachelor’s degree- Someone who has some sort of accounting or finance background. As long as candidates meet minimum qualifications,
Ideally have some research/grants experience.
1. Assists in pre-award functions such as preparing grant applications to ensure conformity with relevant sponsor guidelines, regulations and hospital policy. Coordinates collection of grant application materials and receipt of institutional reviews and approvals to ensure timely submission. May assist in budget preparation as needed.
2. Prepares financial transactions, such as employee travel and other reimbursements, approves purchase requisitions in accordance with sponsor and hospital policy.
3. Works with appropriate institutional central offices (Research Administration, Research Finance, Accounts Payable, etc.) to troubleshoot and resolve matters.
4. Assists in the review of financial reports to monitor grant expenses to ensure compliance with sponsored award terms/conditions. Assists in preparing effort and financial reports for Principal Investigators to assist them in monitoring spending rates and planning for future spending needs.
5. Participates in timely grant/award renewal process and the orderly closeout of sponsored activities.
6. Attends institutional training to keep skills current and knowledge up-to-date on sponsor regulations, Hospital policies, and emerging technologies.
Qualifications (degree, past experience):
Department Ideals: Someone who has some sort of acocunting or finance backgorund. As long as candidates meet minimum qualifications, less experience has worked out better in the past. Ideally have some research/grants experience. Have had good experiences with folks coming out of research/sciences experience before (past few Research Administrators have been lab managers and high level research assistants.
Education: Bachelor’s preferred, high school diploma required. Business Administration or Public Health major preferred. Ideally 2018/2019 graduate.
Work: 2 years of research administrative experience OR Bachelor’s degree
1. Analytical skills to resolve complex problems.
2. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
3. Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and database applications.
With whom and where will the interviews be taking place:
Lab manager, research admin staff.
Approximate length anticipated for interviews:
Approx. 1-2 hours
Any additional information you think may be useful:
This employee will be supporting 3 different Principal Invesigators.
Will have heavy Microsoft Excel work; Microsoft Word and Outlook as well.
PeopleSoft experience not necessary, but should be willing to learn.
Most Research Administrators at BCH stay 4-5 years in these positions before moving on to either Lab Managers internally, or similar positions externally from BCH.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.